There has been a lot of discussion about reducing our American workplaces’ footprint, but unfortunately, statistics show that U.S. companies continue to be huge contributors to environmental destruction. Pollution, climate change, waste in waterways, and deforestation are just some of the environmental degradation that comes from our corporations. Many of those contributions are in the form of discarded paper.
But why does saving trees matter, and why should American companies care? Let’s explore the many benefits of using recycled paper and how we can help our earth by initiating a paper recycling program at your office.
The benefits of recycling paper and using recycled paper.
When your office recycles and uses recycled paper, you help promote a more sustainable corporate climate and a healthier earth for decades to come. Among other benefits, recycling your paper and using recycled paper may:
- Save forests and reduce environmental degradation.
- Reduce landfill waste.
- Reduce pollution.
- Save energy.
Keep reading to find out how these can help your business and our environment!
Save forests and reduce environmental degradation.
Recycling paper allows your used paper to be repurposed. This article from Small Biz Trends shows that paper products can typically be recycled into additional paper products seven times before the materials start to degrade. This highlights how recycling dramatically reduces the need for raw materials needed to make new paper products.
Many people think saving trees isn’t a huge concern since it’s always possible to plant more trees. However, not only is this a misconception, but healthy forest eco-systems are essential for preventing soil erosion, sustaining healthy waterways, and maintaining wildlife habits. Over-managing our forests disrupts these processes that are vital to our eco-system. Even when trees are replanted, it can take forests decades to recover.
Research shows that almost half of the trees cut down in the U.S. are headed for paper production. By utilizing recycled paper and recycling your office’s paper products, you can help reduce these numbers and maintain healthier forests.
Reduce landfill waste.
Our American landfills are growing every day. Because they are so full, they are taking up large parcels of land and destroying essential natural resources. Waste dumps are also significant emitters of methane gas, one of the primary gases proven to be responsible for climate change.
By using recycled paper and recycling our paper, we can help slow the rate at which our landfills are filling up and the number of greenhouse gases generated by them.
The paper production procedure is a crucial contributor to environmental pollution. While using recycled paper doesn’t completely reverse these effects, it does greatly diminish them. Recycling paper also limits the amount of pollution that ends up in our waterways.
According to an article in the Printing News, the energy needed to produce paper from raw materials is almost double what it takes to make paper from recycled paper.
Supporting paper recycling results in fewer greenhouse gas emissions and reduces the drain on energy resources.
Recycling paper can save your business money!
On top of all the environmental benefits, recycling your paper and utilizing recycled paper can save your company a lot of money in the long run.
- Investing in paper recycling may make your office eligible for tax credits.
- Utilizing recycled paper can help your company gain approval among clients, who are demanding that brands take steps to limit their footprints.
- Purchasing recycled paper drives up demand for these materials, which reduces the cost of recycling as the industry invests in the necessary infrastructure to meet demand.
- Choosing sustainable options such as recycled paper will push down the cost of these goods. As resources grow scarcer, the price of paper goods will skyrocket. Investing in recycling now can help keep the cost of paper more reasonable over the long term.
How to set up a paper recycling program at your office.
Now that you know all the recycling paper benefits, it’s time to put that new knowledge to good use by initiating an office paper recycling program. Here are a few tips to get started:
- Designate an office “green team.”
- Use a waste audit kit to determine the volume of your waste.
- Research collection options.
- Identify what to collect.
- Select appropriate recycling bins.
- Use images to so your team can quickly identify each bin.
- Contact a professional recycling company like Carolina Fibre! At Carolina Fibre, we offer extensive recycling services, including paper, plastic, and aluminum recycling, and confidential shredding. Our confidential shredding service ensures your company is protected against identity theft and the divulgence of private information by complete destruction of company records. Once the information is shredded, we send a certificate of destruction for all materials destroyed.
Not only does investing in recycled paper provide your office with some immediate benefits, but it’s also simply the right thing to do when it comes to preserving the natural resources relied on by everyone.
By knowing the facts, engaging your team in a recycling program, and investing in recycled paper products, your company can help make our future healthier and more prosperous for us all.
With the services and facilities offered by Carolina Fibre, it’s easier than ever for businesses to jump on board with green efforts here in North Carolina. Contact us today if you’re ready to get started on your company’s commercial recycling plan!